posted on April 22, 2016 14:03
In October 2015, the CER published its Decision on the Scope of Controlled Electrical Works in relation to lifestyle choice prepayment meters. This decision was subsequently postponed while issues raised by industry regarding certification of these works were resolved.
The CER is today, 21 April 2016 providing clarity on its Decision on the Scope of Controlled Electrical Works in relation to lifestyle choice prepayment meters:
- The CER's decision to expand the definition of Controlled Electrical Works so that the installation and/or removal of lifestyle choice prepayment meters fall within the scope of Controlled Electrical Works remains;
- The only change to the decision published below relates to certification of the works. The decision paper (see link below) indicates that Certificate No. 1 should be used to certify these works and that the CER would review the suite of certificates to ensure they were fit for purpose.
- The CER has developed a new completion certificate, Cert No. 3, that will replace the use of Cert No. 1 and Cert No. 2 for Controlled Works 2, 3, 4 and 5 (including sub-systems) and that can be used for Minor Works.
- The installation, modification or removal of a lifestyle choice prepayment meter falls with the scope of Controlled Works 2. This means that from 23 May 2016 these works require certification, using Completion Certificate No. 3.
- Certificate No. 3 will be available for Registered Electrical Contractors to purchase from Safe Electric from 9 May 2016.
- Cert No. 1 (<50 KVA) or Cert No. 2 (>= 50 KVA) is still required for Controlled Works No. 1 i.e. those works requiring a DSO connection.
If you have any questions regarding the purchase of Certificate No. 3 please contact Safe Electric at Tel: 01-492996 or visit the website www.reci.ie
The complete Decision Paper can be viewed here